Assistance for individuals and families to purchase nutritious food
Placeholder tab content 2
Placeholder tab content 3
Placeholder tab content 4
Placeholder tab content 5
- If you are applying for assistance, submitting verifications, reporting a loss of income, or have questions, we encourage you to use remote access options found HERE.
- SAR 7s and recertifications are not currently waived and need to be submitted by their due dates.
- Effective April 1, 2020, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act suspended the work requirement for all Able-Bodied Adults Without Dependents (ABAWDs).
- CalFresh ABAWD recipients may continue to receive CalFresh benefits without having to meet the work requirement so long as they comply with CalFresh reporting requirements.
What is CalFresh?
CalFresh, known federally as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), provides monthly assistance for low or no income individuals and families to purchase nutritious food. The CalFresh program issues monthly benefits on an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card, similar to an ATM card, to purchase food at retail stores and farmers markets that accept EBT cards.
All CalFresh applications and recertifications must be processed as soon as possible. CalFresh applications must be processed no later than thirty (30) calendar days from the date the application is received by the County. The County must notify the applicant in writing, if the case is approved or denied, no later than 30 calendar days from the date the County receives the CalFresh application. If you qualify based on an emergency situation, you may be eligible to receive CalFresh Expedited Service benefits within three (3) calendar days from the date the application is received by the County. If you are having problems with your CalFresh application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have any physical, mental, developmental, or emotional conditions that make it hard for you to apply for benefits or meet program requirements? We can give you extra help. We call this type of help a reasonable accommodation.
To request a reasonable accommodation for CalFresh, you may:
- Ask any Alameda County Social Services Agency employee helping you with your CalFresh case, or
- Call the Customer Service Call Center at 510-263-2420 or 1-888-999-4772, Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. People with a speech or hearing impairment may use TTY at (877) 735-2929 (California Relay), or
- Request an accommodation in writing and upload it to the BenefitsCal or mail it to P.O. Box 12941, Oakland, CA 94604.
The law protects people with physical, mental, emotional, and developmental disabilities as well as others with serious health problems (42 U.S.C. § 12132). For more information please review the PUB 13 and USDA Nondiscrimination Statement
CalFresh Policies & Regulations
- 63-01.02: The CalFresh Restaurant Meals Program
- 63-02.01: Work Incentive Nutritional Supplement (WINS)
- 63-03.01: Verifications For CalFresh
- 63-03.02: Expedited Services
- 63-03.04: Denying for No Show or Failure to Provide
- 63-03.05: Application Process
- 63-04.05: Student Eligibility
- 63-05.05: SemiAnnual Reporting (SAR)
- 63-05.17: Transitional CalFresh
- 63-05.03: CalFresh Reference Tables Cost-of-Living Adjustment
- 63-05.33: CalFresh Medical Deductions for the Elderly/Disabled