CalFresh ABAWD Work Requirement
Alameda County is under an ABAWD waiver and ABAWDs are not currently subject to a time limit.
When Alameda County is not under an ABAWD waiver, some CalFresh recipients will be required to meet federal work requirements. The rules apply to any CalFresh recipient between the ages of 18-49 without a child living in the home.
Work Requirement Exemptions
ABAWDs may be exempt from the work requirement if they:
- Unable to work due to chronic homelessness
- Living with a child under age 18
- Earning at least $218 a week
- Participating in a CalWORKs work program
- Caring for a child under age 6 or anyone who is ill or disabled
- Applying for or getting unemployment insurance
- Applying for or getting disability benefits or veterans' disability
- Unable to work due to domestic violence
- Struggling with or receiving treatment for drugs or alcohol
- Going to a school, college/university or training program at least half-time, including any Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) training program
- Have a physical, mental or emotional disability that stops you from working
Complete this survey to find out whether you may qualify for an exemption.
To download this CalFresh Work Requirement Survey in other languages, click the links below:
Meeting CalFresh Work Requirements
When the ABAWD waiver is lifted, if you are not exempt from working, you will be required to participate in approved activities to continue receiving CalFresh benefits. You can meet work requirements by doing one or a combination of the following:
- Working at least 20 hours per week, on average 80 hours per month
- Participating in a CalFresh Employment & Training or other approved employment training program for at least 20 hours per week.
- Volunteering or performing community service for at least 20 hours per week
- Participating in Workfare arranged by Alameda County Social Services Agency, less than 20 hours per week
Interested in jobs or training? Call 510-263-2420 or 1-888-999-4772 and inquire about our CalFresh Employment & Training program!
Need help or have questions?
Visit Us: Office Locations
Call: 1-888-999-4772 (8am - 5pm, Monday - Friday)