Family Stabilization Program

The Family Stabilization Program (FSP) provides intensive case management and additional services to help CalWORKs families overcome a crisis situation. FSP will help address a temporary crisis that prevents you from participating in Welfare-to-Work (WTW). FSP services can also be combined with WTW activities for families who face a crisis so the adult member can still participate in the WTW program.


CalWORKs recipients who are required to participate in WTW, have time remaining on their WTW 24-month time clock, and are facing a crisis that prevents full participation in the WTW program are eligible to enroll in FSP.

Situations that may cause instability in the family and could interfere with the adult's required participation in the WTW program include, but are not limited to:

  • Homelessness or at risk of eviction
  • A lack of safety due to domestic violence
  • Untreated or undertreated behavioral needs, including mental health needs

Adults and children in the family may receive FSP services, including those who are exempt from participation in WTW and those who are outside of the Assistance Unit as long as the services provided are directly related to the crisis that is preventing the adult from participating in the WTW program. FSP is a VOLUNTARY program and participation will not affect other benefits.


Services offered under the Family Stabilization Program include:

  • Treatment for family members (intensive day treatment, non-medical outpatient treatment, and residential treatment)
  • Temporary and permanent housing assistance (security deposit and rental assistance, and referrals to housing programs)
  • Rehabilitation services
  • SSI Advocacy
  • Individual counseling due to lack of WTW participation

If you feel any of these situations apply to you and your family, please contact your Employment Counselor (EC).

If you do not know who your EC is, you can call one of the below:

  • North Oakland Self-Sufficiency Center (510) 891-0700
  • Eastmont Self-Sufficiency Center (510) 577-7067
  • South County (includes Eden Area Multi-Service Center, Fremont Office, Livermore Self Sufficiency Center) (510) 670-6225
  • Enterprise Self-Sufficiency Center (510) 639-1090